Club Corner: Students explore spirituality in Sharks 4 Christ

Emma Rosenberg
Sharks 4 Christ Club Vice President Genesis Cuellar-Figueroa engages with fellow club members during their meeting on Sept. 21.

During Sharks 4 Christ’s second meeting, senior David Antonio sang and played guitar for fellow students. Junior Genesis Cuellar-Figueroa also read aloud several verses from the Bible and led members in prayer. 

Sharks 4 Christ president Antonio encourages students to join the club since everyone is welcome and it is a place where people can connect with God.  

“In my life I was lost and then I found Jesus,” Antonio said. “He was really a way for me to find peace and I wanted to bring that to Daniel Pearl and say that there is a club for people looking for hope.”   

Sharks 4 Christ is the first Christian-faith based club on campus in over five years. The club provides a space for students to come together, listen to Bible verses, participate in prayer and express their spirituality through song. The club held its first meeting on Sept. 21 and continues to meet every Thursday during lunch in room 12. 

“I wanted to create a sort of community for those who are curious about Jesus, as well as making a safe space for those who are believers so they can find new friendships and fellowships with other people,” Vice President Cuellar-Figueroa said. “I wanted it to be a club where people are in unity and they can express and not be ashamed of what they believe in.”

Club sponsor Tuan “Duke” Huynh sees Sharks 4 Christ as a positive outlet for students.

“Based on my impression, the goal is to have a common place where students can be social, get to know each other and talk about their beliefs,” Duke said.