Athlete of the Month: Suarez paces from Peru to California cross country highlands

Maggie Simonyan
Junior Diego Vera Suarez runs warm up laps during cross country practice at Birmingham Community Charter High School on Oct. 11.

Every month, we recognize two student-athletes, one from a boys team and another from a girls team, for their performance on the field. This month we recognize junior Diego Vera Suarez.

Vera Suarez has been a runner all his life. He dedicated many hours of training to cross country. So with all those years of training, he decided to join Birmingham Community Charter High School’s junior varsity (JV) cross country team.

Q: How long were you in cross country? When did you start?

A: I started to run outside (of school) when I was like nine years old. When I was in middle school, I also ran but then I stopped for a while.

Q: Where did you practice for cross country? Was it with an organization?

A: I practiced on my own. I grew up in Peru and they don’t do that sport (cross country) so I trained by myself.

Q: What got you interested in cross country?

A: I decided to do that sport because I like to run. I ran since I was in middle school and then I quit practicing. I was stretching and trying to become faster.

Q: What is the most changeling part of cross country for you and what is your favorite part?

A: To try to pass the two miles. My favorite part is seeing the places I run and walk in.

Q: How does your schedule look on a normal day? Is it hard being a student athlete?

A: I wake up, stretch a little in the morning and later on I run a minimum of three miles throughout the day. It’s not hard. First I do my homework and try to get higher grades and later on, I do my sport training.

Q: Do you hope to do cross country as a career? What do you hope to be?

A: No, I want to learn medicine and take care of children…

Q: What words do you have for others in cross country?

A: Try to improve yourself, even if you see you are losing and you aren’t going up, try to think of your family and try to improve yourself.