Class of 2023 gears up for graduation

Seniors+line+up+to+take+their+panorama+picture+on+May+10.+

Jazmine Valerio

Seniors line up to take their panorama picture on May 10.

As the impending graduation of the Class of 2023 of Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) creeps closer, many are sad to see them go.

“This was the class of go-getters,” Principal Armen Petrossian said. ”These were individuals with strong convictions, a class of high achievers and a class of good citizens. They represented the school with honor and were the face of DPMHS, whether it was school tours or giving their time to the community.”

Unlike the Class of 2022, the Class of 2023 will have a higher number of attendees. The graduates are given eight tickets for their family and friends to attend the ceremony. Fifty-two seniors are expected to graduate.The graduation ceremony will take place at Mulholland Middle School on Thursday June 8 at 5pm. Most graduates are looking forward to life after high-school.

“I’ll be going to college at CSUN, Cal State University of Northridge,” senior Ralph Uy De Ong said. “I’m majoring in cinematography and during the summer I might find a summer job and then work on my driver’s license.”

The keynote speaker is Dr. Judea Pearl, father of journalist Daniel Pearl. Other speeches include valedictorian Delilah Brumer, salutatorian Kennedy Fayton Guzman and student speeches by Naamah Silcott and Associated Student Body President Angela Ledesma. 

There will also be several musical performances from graduating seniors and underclassmen alike. Songs being performed like “Beat It” by Michael Jackson and “The Adults Are Talking” by The Strokes add onto the graduation’s theme of stepping into adulthood.

The Class of 2023 received an abnormal high-school experience with the COVID-19 pandemic forcing them into remote learning during their freshman year of high school. Despite the whirlwind of events, the class was able to push through and now will face the world as adults. 

“The COVID-19 restrictions at the beginning of the year kind of put a damper on what they were allowed to do,” academic counselor Martina Torres said. “I think those little by little are being lifted.”