Track and field season crosses finish line

Rosendo Rubalcava knew joining the track and field team in his senior year at a new school would be a struggle with the consistency and discipline of training, as well as getting along with the other team members. But working through the challenges and meeting all the other teams were some of his highlights for the season. 

“I think other than the events and being with all the other schools, all the other kids, being with a team and just getting to know everybody, getting to know the coach, learning what you’re going to be doing that’s always going to be a favorite memory of mine,” said Rubalcava, who competed in short distance categories.

Alongside Rubalcava, Birmingham Community Charter High School (BCCHS) football players and freshmen Tobias Bechdolt and London Vildosola are now in track and field. Bechdolt’s favorite memory was hitting his personal record (PR) of 9 feet in the pole vault category. Bechdholt’s season has been filled with meeting new people, beating BCCHS rival team Taft Charter High School and setting a new personal record. 

“It’s been good. I’d rate it a good eight out of 10,” Bechdholt said. “I met a lot of good people and reached a PR of nine feet during a track and field meet.”

Vildosola found the track and field atmosphere to be the most enjoyable. Bechdolt and Vildosola played football in the fall and joined the track and field team in the spring to keep training. That didn’t mean they took their new sport lightly. 

“What I enjoy most about track and field would be the atmosphere,” Vildosola said. “Like all of my friends that are there.” 

Sophomore Deven Szymczak participates in track and field during the spring season but during the fall season, Szymcrak does cross country. Szymczak enjoys being there for his friends and getting a 5.21 minute on his mile runs.  

“PR’ing in my mile, getting 5.21 since I think in the past I would be like 6.20 or so, would have to be my biggest achievements,” said Szymczak, who just finished his second year on the track and field team. 

Jazmine Valero contributed to this story.