Varsity+pitcher+for+the+Birmingham+Patriots+Derek+Vasquez+cheers+his+team+on+during+a+junior+varsity+baseball+game+on+April+19.+

Jason Arevalo

Varsity pitcher for the Birmingham Patriots Derek Vasquez cheers his team on during a junior varsity baseball game on April 19.

Athlete of the Month: Vasquez pitches his way onto varsity baseball team

April 28, 2023

Every month, we recognize two student athletes, one from a boys team and another from a girls team, for their performance on the field. This month we recognize junior Derek Vasquez. 

This is Vasquez’ second year on the Birmingham Community Charter High School varsity boys baseball team. He hopes to continue his baseball journey into college. 

Question: How long have you been playing baseball?

Answer: I’ve been playing for about 12 years.

Q: What position do you play on the team?

A: I’m a pitcher on the team and I’m on the varsity team at Birmingham (Community Charter High School).

Q: Does it affect your schoolwork and your social life?

A: Practicing games takes a lot of time. It messes with my schedule after school. I used to go to the gym frequently but now because of practice I can’t really go that much. It didn’t affect me in a negative way but it changed me a bit.

Q: What is your favorite memory from playing baseball?

A: When I hit my first home run ever. I was 12 years old.

Q: How has playing baseball impacted your life?

A: I’ve known baseball for my entire life and as I’ve grown up it’s been my thing. My family has been playing so it’s a big thing for me. 

Q: Do you plan on playing all throughout high school and even after high school?

A: Maybe in college but if not, I would just focus on other things I’m passionate about.