BIC is back

After it was paused due to the COVID-19 pandemic, students can once again enjoy Breakfast in the Classroom.

September 30, 2022

Last year, snacks were served instead of a hot breakfast before the school day began. This year, warm bean and cheese burritos and sausage sandwiches are some of the meals served during Breakfast in the Classroom (BIC).

“I actually missed having BIC in the morning because we were able to socialize and eat breakfast at the same time,” senior Ralph Uy De Ong said. “Some of us don’t have time to eat at home, so it’s good they brought it back.”

Although in-person school was back in session last year, BIC did not return because students took off their masks to eat during the COVID-19 pandemic. Instead, breakfast was served before school. This food was not a hot meal, but rather either crackers or cereal served with fruit and milk. 

Even though BIC is back in the Los Angeles Unified School District, some students aren’t happy with the choices. For example, some students find the sausage sandwich, the meat burrito and some of the fruit unappetizing. 

“The sausage sandwich just doesn’t taste good,” sophomore Allison Gonzalez said. “This is because sometimes you get those chewy pieces that just ruin the whole thing.”

However, the bean burrito and the coffee cake are some of the more popular items. According to a poll conducted by The Pearl Post with 22 students responding, the most popular breakfast items are french toast and cereal bowls. 

A poll conducted by the Pearl Post with 22 students reporting found that french toast and cereal bowls are the most popular Breakfast in the Classroom (BIC) items.

“If I miss breakfast when I’m in a rush, I like that I can still eat breakfast at school and get the energy I need,”  freshman Daniel Zamora said.

The day before BIC is served, the cafeteria workers prepare the food. Then before school the next day, the hot food is heated up and put into the bags and then a packing slip is filled out. When the bag gets taken backto the cafeteria, the roster is counted and reviewed to see if the number of students who took the breakfast matches the packing slip. Every food item must be accounted for since the school gets reimbursed for the amount of breakfasts students take, according to Food Services Manager Kathy Mrasz.