The Pearl Post places second in three categories at 64th Annual LA Press Club Journalism Awards

Student journalists from The Pearl Post attend the So Cal Journalism Awards in-person gala, for the second year since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

June 29, 2022

The Pearl Post placed second in three categories they were named finalists for at the Los Angeles Press Club’s 64th annual Southern California Journalism Awards on June 25. 

Online Editor-in-Chief Delilah Brumer placed second in Best News Writing, Campus Issues, Brumer and Managing Editor Gabrielle Lashley placed second in Best News Writing, Off-Campus Issues and Former Newsmagazine Editor-in-Chief Valeria Luquin placed second in Best Feature Photo

This year’s awards ceremony, hosted at the Sheraton Universal Hotel in Universal City, was dedicated to all Ukrainian journalists and independent Russian journalists. For the second year in a row, guests were required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination in advance of the event to ensure the health and safety of all attendees.

Before the event began, guests had the opportunity to take photos on the red carpet, browse the silent auction room and socialize with one another. Guests ranged from famous journalists to legendary actress Rita Moreno. Once it was time for dinner, the doors to The Grand Ballroom were opened, and staff from the event signaled for guests to make their way toward their seats. 

As guests were being served the main course, presenters Giselle Fernandez and Robert Kovacik took the stage to welcome everyone. They began announcing the winners, starting in the Student Media categories. The Pearl Post were named finalists in the categories, “Best High School Newspaper” and “Best College News Website,” but they did not win. The Matador received first place for “Best High School Newspaper” and The Union received first place for “Best College News Website.

In addition to the various achievement awards presented that night, five individuals received the Honorary Awards for 2022 due to their immense contributions to journalism and society. First Amendment Lawyer Susan E. Seager received the Guardian Award, Los Angeles Times correspondent/photographer Marcus Yam received the Daniel Pearl Award, Fox 11 News anchor Christine Devine received the President’s Award, Laugh Factory Founder/Owner Jamie Masada received the Bill Rosendahl Public Service Award and CBS 60 Minutes correspondent Bill Whitaker received the Joseph M. Quinn Award. 

Filling in for Dr. Pearl, who could not attend the event, was Rob Eshman who introduced Yam to the stage. Before going to Ukraine, Yam was one of the few foreign correspondents who stayed to document the U.S. military’s exit and the Taliban’s takeover in Afghanistan. For his work there, he received a Pulitzer Prize. During his time spent in Ukraine, he managed to capture the human life and community seen in a war zone through his distinct photographic style.

“I would like to thank the Pearl family for this incredible honor. It is a great privilege to be here. To be a journalist. To be here with you, some of the best journalists in the business,” Yam said. “I actually vividly remember reading about Daniel Pearl and his life story when I was a teenager. I did not know back then that I was going to be a journalist. But I do remember that reading about it inspired me to live my life meaningfully.”

Having returned about a week ago, he is a true embodiment of what the Daniel Pearl Award represents: journalists who demonstrate courage and integrity in journalism.  

“I’ve spent the last five years covering five different conflicts around the globe and I want to say this, it’s not easy and I have so many people to thank for keeping me safe,” Yam said. “This award is a reminder that we have a responsibility to leave an impact on our readers even in the face of danger. I really hope that I will continue to honor Daniel’s life and I will never shy to brave the unknown.”