We are people too, just much cooler

By ZACHARY ADLER

Contributing Writer

When the word “nerds” comes up, people have a vision and a preconceived thought of how they act. These have generally come with negative connotations of poor social skills and uncommonly high interest in topics such as comic books, science, science fiction, or fantasy.

But lately, those preconceptions have been changing and “nerds” have become more common and more accepted in our modern teenage society. Though some might say that this new influx of nerds is a good thing, it’s really ruining nerd culture for the real nerds.

“I’ve definitely noticed that more people are joining a new influx of nerd culture,” said Christopher Bower, a sophomore at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, self-proclaimed nerd and Tech Editor for The Pearl Post.

Sheena Gonzalez

Most of this influx of nerd culture has come as a result of “The Big Bang Theory,” a popular television show on CBS. The show focuses on four scientists who work at Cal Tech, enjoy a variety of nerdy subjects, and struggle with their prevalent social drawbacks. Now in its sixth season, it is ranked at number three in US ratings.

What is peculiar is the genuine impact the show has made. Its unique blend of sci-fi jokes, off-kilter “Star Trek” references, emphasis on science and sometimes-too-honest portrayal of nerds makes for a combination that has attracted non-nerds, especially teenagers, to the previously mysterious nerd culture. Thus, a former subculture has become an integral part of the mainstream culture.

“I think people get into the nerdy stuff because they think it’s funny on ‘Big Bang,’” Bower continued.

While some might say that the nerds are finally getting their day, this new influx of “quasi-nerds” or “next-gen nerds” (not to be confused with nerds that like “Star Trek: The Next Generation”) has brought a non-genuine quality to a culture that thrives upon being genuine and true to itself regardless of what society thinks.

In a sense, they have taken the individualist aspect out of nerdom by making it seem like a common thing. They have become interested only because of a television show instead of the moral, emotional and entertainment values that those who invest their time and devotion to their nerdy interests hold sacred.

The part of teenagers popularizing nerdom that is bad is that they take the stereotypes of being a nerd and take them to the extreme. They wear oversized glasses and suspenders not because they think it is cool, but to fit into a stereotype that nerds are trying to counteract every day.

Though it is a good thing that nerdom is becoming more common, it is not advancing in our culture. The true nerds do not gain respectability from these “quasi-nerds” and thus nerdom seems less cool.

It makes liking “Star Wars” and freaking out about “The Hobbit” seem like something that is bad.

So, to these middle nerds, please make up your mind. Please decide whether you’re going to be a “true nerd” in its full form or whether you’re going to suck it up and not get the joke. You’re making it tough for us, the ones who still hold true to the Prime Directive and let their nerd flags fly.