The Patriots prepare for the playoffs as they wrap up their season

Sara Marquez

With the sun beating down on him, senior and varsity player Christopher Rodriguez races towards the ball on Jan. 24 during the Birmingham Community Charter High School game against El Camino Real Charter High School.

Maribella Ambrosio

The Birmingham Community Charter High School boys soccer team has shot and scored, grown into better players, conquered challenges and it all went by as fast as the ball flying after a big kick.

“This season was decent but we can always be doing better,” varsity goalkeeper Anthony Martinez said. “We’re in second place in the league. That’ll get us maybe one home game (for playoffs), hopefully, if we continue to win the rest of the games.”

The Patriots have improved and fought hard this season, junior Martinez says. With new players and obstacles that came their way, the boys wrap up stronger than ever.

The Patriots started their season on Dec. 2 with a nice win against San Fernando High School, but lost their winning streak on their third game against Notre Dame High School, ending with a tie. Following a loss against St. Francis High School and two more losses after that. The Patriots have won their most recent game against Chatsworth Charter High School 1-0. 

In total, the Patriots have an overall record of 9-6-4. They are preparing for the upcoming playoffs on Feb. 19. 

“We feel confident with the number of wins and losses, but then again, we could always be doing better,” said Martinez.

The team has worked hard on improving skills that needed to be worked on. They have improved their defense against their opponents. However, the Patriots continue to struggle with finishing games smoothly and scoring more goals.

“The new players definitely helped on attacking, getting up with the ball, and creating better chances to score,” said varsity defense center-back player Christopher Rodriguez.

The Patriots recognized that a few changes needed to be made in the team and knew that receiving new players would also be a challenge. Communication is also an important skill needed in the team.

“Making the team better is not just one player, but it’s the whole team,” said Rodriguez, a senior.