Lady Patriots end season with high hopes for playoffs

Shanna Aghasi

Sophomore varsity point guard Janna Holley prepares to shoot a free throw during practice on Jan. 30.

Valery Barrera

Facing many bumps along the road, the Lady Patriot’s season comes to a close.

“I feel like we went downhill because our energy wasn’t there as much,” sophomore Janna Holley said.

Starting off the season with a three-loss streak, the Birmingham Community Charter High School girls varsity basketball team was motivated to push through and strive to be better.

The Lady Patriots recently beat Grover Cleveland Charter High School 59-16 on Jan. 31. They currently sit at a record of 11-14.

Having lost to El Camino Real Charter High School before, the girls were given a chance for redemption this season. The team played El Camino Real on Jan. 24, winning 65-52. In attempts to finish the league strong, the team plans to come back even stronger for playoffs on Feb. 14.

Energy played a big factor in the way the team executed their defense. The energy not being there was a key factor in why they lost many games.

“As a team, we blame ourselves,” varsity point guard Holley said. “Our coaches tell us not to blame one person but to blame the whole team because it’s a team effort.”

This season, the girls averaged 47.4 points, 29.9 assists, 9.6 rebounds per game. One of their biggest weaknesses was offense and Holley believes the team will only improve with practice. Wishing to only learn from their mistakes, they will use their defense as an advantage to score more during games.

“We will improve by practicing more and longer, I know that for a fact,” Holley said.