Patriots start off season strong with five-game win streak

Harlow Frank

Senior varsity forward Cuyler Huffman warms up for a game against Palisades Charter High School on Nov. 21.

Jonathan Spahr

With Birmingham Community Charter High School boys basketball season having started, there is definitely a gratified feeling throughout the players due to their five-game win streak. 

Players are excited to get back into season to collaborate with incoming players to learn and teach them new skills and traditions. 

“We are practicing once each day with team bonding activities and it has helped everyone get into the mentality of winning,” senior varsity forward Cuyler Huffman said.

The Patriots recently beat Westlake High School 85-61 on Nov. 30 and currently have a record of 5-0. With the next game on Dec. 5 against Van Nuys High School, they are extremely excited to continue their winning streak.

With the hope of reaching the state championships, the team doesn’t intend to lose again like last season in the second round against Etiwanda High School on Feb. 28. Coming close to the state championship created new winning tactics that the team hopes will come into play for the upcoming season.

“Last season, we were all learning to play together, and this season we have new and returning players that are trying to work on team chemistry,” Huffman said.

With new players and a new strategy, the Patriots are building their players up and preparing them for the long road ahead. 

“I am really excited for this upcoming season and think we can accomplish many things one being winning league and the other winning city,” Huffman said.