Patriots bring home win during festive homecoming celebration

Mahali Sanchez

Juniors CJ Gorospe and Amelia Sanchez wave and smile at the crowd during the Birmingham Community Charter High School homecoming game parade on Nov. 1.

Sara Marquez

Blue tutus and shimmering gold faces welcomed the Birmingham Community Charter High School (BCCHS) Patriots at their homecoming game.

This year, the Patriots used the magic of Disney as their theme during the Nov. 1 festivities. Due to the recent track renovations, the floats were not on any vehicles but rather a walking parade.

However, the Patriots did not fail to have the students riled up for their homecoming celebration. The parade included sports and clubs like water polo, cross country, class councils, the Black Student Union and many others.

BCCHS was successful in bringing home the victory in both their junior varsity games winning 26-2 and their varsity game winning 42-0 against Granada Hills Charter High School.

“It’s a good experience to see the football game at their prime because it’s the qualifying game for playoffs,” Daniel Pearl Magnet High School sophomore and varsity cheerleader Eden Kolber said. “And it’s the biggest game so a lot of people go.”

The crowd cheered and continuously interacted while following the game. Many in the stands wore blue, white and gold to represent their school and show off their spirit. 

The BCCHS marching band and color guard, cheerleading team and dance team all gave performances during halftime. Along with this, the homecoming royalty were introduced and followed by the announcement of the winners for king and queen.

As the crowd yelled and shouted in joy, the football lights dimmed and the sound of fireworks caused the Patriots to turn in awe at the colors exploding over the stands. The show went on for a good five minutes and ended with lights shooting up representing the school colors. 

The lights were turned back on and colored smoke bombs were sent off by BCCHS staff in the stands. The purple, blue, and yellow faded into the night as the Patriots went back onto the field for the second half of the homecoming game.

The cold breeze walked the students out as the buzzer rang and the Patriots had another victorious homecoming game for the 2019-2020 school year.

It’s a good opportunity to have a lot of school spirit and cheer on your team,” junior August DeFore said.