Kadima String Quartet sends a melodic message

Alexandra Avendano

The Kadima String Quartet visited Daniel Pearl Magnet High School on March 7 as part of their Young Person’s Concert Series. Photo by Rusel Ramirez.

Assembled in a half-circle facing the audience, the Kadima String Quartet began their Mozart piece.

Consisting of violinists Eric KM Clark and Andrew Tholl and cellists Lynn Angebranndt and violinist Beth Elliott, the quartet performed at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) on March 7. It was the last show of the Young Person’s Concert Series designated for schools in the Los Angeles area.
“We hope that through performance, we can affect many young people,” Elliot said.
The Kadima String Quartet belongs to the Kadima Conservatory of Music, a non-profit organization situated at Los Angeles Valley College.
The Conservatory, as well as the Quartet, is dedicated to providing students of all ages and of all financial need the opportunity to develop an appreciation for music and even offer lessons to those willing to learn.
Grants and scholarships are awarded by the Conservatory to students who show exemplary commitment to music and musical talent. They have been awarded on a yearly basis for the past 10 years.
The Quartet itself has been playing together for seven years.
As part of their mission, the Quartet participates in a series of concerts at schools around the county to ignite admiration and educate students on music, both classical and modern.
DPMHS was one of the few schools selected for the concert.
The school’s selection was greatly influenced by the Quartet’s involvement in Harmony for Humanity, a yearly concert in October that is part of Daniel Pearl World Music Days.
Having previously recorded on a soundtrack, the Quartet played songs from famous movie soundtracks, such as “Over the Rainbow” from Wizard of Oz.
Throughout the show, Elliot also asked the audience how many times a certain theme was played, to which students would shout their responses.
“They are extremely talented,” said freshman Kaliana Marin. “I’m surprised at how in sync they were the entire time.”
With their compilation of classical pieces and popular music, the Kadima String Quartet wowed the students filling the auditorium and even exposed many to a different experience of music.
“I thought the concert was fun for pretty much everyone,” said junior Jasper Harris. It did a great job at making learning about classical music entertaining, and also, quite painless.”