Boys water polo dives into new season

Sophomore+driver+number+seven+Yoni+Zelig+gets+ready+to+throw+the+ball+during+water+polo+practice+on+Sept.+12.+

Evan Gleason

Sophomore driver number seven Yoni Zelig gets ready to throw the ball during water polo practice on Sept. 12.

Maribella Ambrosio

Players and coaches return to the pool for the fall season with new ideas and strategies to reach the top.

With new players joining the team and last year’s seniors leaving, like every other sports team, it will take time for the men’s varsity water polo team to adjust.

“The people on the team are great and it makes the sport really fun to play,” freshman Ryan Nevsky said. “All of the other players are bigger and stronger, so it’s hard to compete with them”

The Patriots had their first game against Culver City High School on Sept. 3 and lost 8-5. They recently lost to Cleveland Charter High School 13-8. They currently sit at a record of 5-6. 

“As soon as we get the chemistry better, we’re going to get a lot better,” sophomore varsity driver Yoni Zelig said. “Once we get each other and swimming back on defense, we are going to be able to keep them from scoring.”

Previous players also have their own goals for this season, not only to help themselves but their team as well.

“I want to improve my passes and make better shots,” varsity player August Defore said. “I want to keep going fast and of course, get stronger.”

Last year, the Patriots reached the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Southern Section City Championship, competing against Palisades Charter High School but ended up losing the game. The Patriots are eager to work hard throughout the season and finish off with a good prize.

“Once the team gets to be a team, we can use each other,” Zelig said. “So slowly we’re going to get a lot better.”