Math teacher Hicks transferring to another campus for new school year

One of DPMHSs founding teachers, Leslie Hicks will be transferring to Reseda Charter High School for the upcoming school year.

Prestige Yearbook

One of DPMHS’s founding teachers, Leslie Hicks will be transferring to Reseda Charter High School for the upcoming school year.

Shanna Aghasi

Adored math teacher Leslie Hicks has decided to teach at a different school starting this fall.

Hicks, who has been teaching Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and AP Calculus at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School for the past 13 years, is transferring to Reseda Charter High School in the fall.

“I have a have a chance to work there with some teachers I know I will learn a lot from and I’m excited to grow,” Hicks said.

Just this spring, Hicks was named Teacher of the Year by the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). Every year, 22 LAUSD teachers receive the Teacher of the Year award. It is given to teachers who demonstrate a positive attitude toward their students.

She wanted to become a teacher after she was serving overseas in the Peace Corps. The longer she lived in a country where there is extreme poverty, the more she realized that education is what’s really important to her.

Hicks not only holds high standards for her students, but she also recognizes their humanity and she doesn’t expect her students to know everything before entering her class. She teaches with patience and will be greatly missed by her past students.

“I hope I gave my students a chance to know that I know that high school is a time to learn and grow and make mistakes and get better,” Hicks said