• May 15Class of 2019 prom on Saturday, May 18 from 6:30-10:30 p.m.

• May 15Juniors will have SBAC testing from May 20-24

• May 15No school on Memorial Day, Monday May 27

New activities to debut at Pearl Con

Back to Article
Back to Article

New activities to debut at Pearl Con

At last year's Pearl Con, there were various booths showcasing comic books, movies videogames and artworks.

Rosa Lemus

Rosa Lemus

Rosa Lemus

Farah Faiza

After its success in uniting a community devoted to comics and cosplay, Pearl Con resumes for its fourth consecutive year.

The convention takes place on May 11 this year and serves to bring together various forms of entertainment into one big event for all to enjoy. Pearl Con was created by teachers James Morrison and Stephen Schaffter in order to create an identity and bolster spirit for students at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School. Over the years, the event has gone through many changes and developed more thoroughly with each experience.

“The experience of having done it means that we know that certain things have to occur at a certain time,” Schaffter said. “We’re really good at figuring out our timelines a lot better than we were in the past.”

Just like last year, there will be a vintage car show but a new feature this year will be an exhibition displaying miniature, hand-painted car models. In the Multi-Purpose Room, vendor booths will be set up to browse and buy graphic novels, art, figurines and other collectibles. The Los Angeles Public Library will be hosting their own booth for the first time this year. As always, guests are encouraged to cosplay as their favorite characters and get into the spirit.

“It’s not just artists,” Morrison said. “It’s a community effort.”

To celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the opening of Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, the theme of the convention will be based on World War II. It serves to commemorate how the school building is one of the last facilities of a military hospital in use during WWII. There will be reenactors playing the roles of injured soldiers and field medics. Additionally, a small museum will be set up to showcase relics and other items that capture how the school once looked.

“It’s going to be not necessarily a history theme but it’s going to be more of a nostalgia sort of theme for 75 years ago, for the golden age in comics,” Schaffter said.

Instead of a Maid Cafe, where guests were able to buy food and refreshments, there will be a 50’s retro cafe. Volunteers working there will all follow a vintage style, adding to the nostalgia.

This year, Morrison and Schaffter have decided to partner with the Associated Student Body, rather than just the Parent Teacher Student Association. Funds will be primarily earned through the sales of tickets and refreshments, and then reinvested back for the school to use.

Volunteers are always welcome to help out in the various positions available, such as in the cafe or in hospitality.

“In essence, what we’re doing is we’re throwing a party for the students,” Schaffter said.

About the Writer
Farah Faiza, Staff Writer

Farah Faiza is a staff writer for The Pearl Post, making this her first year on the team. She’s camera shy and definitely prefers to be the one behind...