Teachers and students honor the dead in Day of the Dead festival

November 4, 2018

On Nov. 1 and 2, students and teachers set up mini altars and activities to celebrate the traditional Mexican holiday, Dia de los Muertos, also known as Day of the Dead.

As a part of the festival, chicken and beef tamales, horchata, champurrado and pan de muerto were sold.

Teachers did not just want the school to look festive but wanted students to know the culture and meaning behind the special holiday traditions. Teachers Marta Rodriguez, Glenda Hurtado and Adriana Chavira came up with the idea behind the festival by having students create small altars that honored loved ones, celebrities and the late journalist Daniel Pearl.

“What I want students and faculty members to experience and learn is that Dia de los Muertos and the ofrendas are about honoring their ancestors,” Spanish teacher Rodriguez said. “Also, that it’s a celebration that is not something scary or something to be afraid of. It’s a time to celebrate life.”

During nutrition and lunch on both days, students had the opportunity to look at the ofrendas and decorations throughout the school. Students from several classes helped to make the school look festive and set up altars to honor those who have passed.

To accommodate the festival on Friday, lunch was extended an extra 15 minutes.

Lunch was filled with excitement and laughter, from line dancing to eating tamales. Games like “Loteria,” bowling and tic-tac-toe were set up in the front for students to play. Many students connected with others and teachers were impressed with how well everything turned out.

“I liked the food, conchas, tamales and the horchata,” sophomore Emily Rodas said. “Also hanging out with my friends and helping to put the decorations for the event.”

*updated Nov. 20 to add student’s quote and correct names of organizers.

The Pearl Post • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$655
$500