• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

The Pearl Post, best high school newspaper

By Elitza Batchiyska
Editor-in-Chief:

Photo Courtesy of LA Press Club. Editor-in-Chief Elitza Batchiyska holds the plaque for best high school newspaper won by The Pearl Post at the Los Angeles Press Club Awards in June.

The Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles was flooded with journalists on June 24 for the 54th Annual Los Angeles Press Club Awards.
This year, The Pearl Post was nominated for Best High School Newspaper and won, receiving a plaque to hang in its newsroom in Room 22.
The judges praised The Pearl Post for covering topics relevant to students, being informative, exhibiting an advanced level of writing and including “great graphics and photos,” according to the judges.
In second place was Beverly Hills High School, with South East High School in South Gate following close in third place.
That evening, The Pearl Post’s Editor-in-Chief Elitza Batchiyska was among many big names in the ceremony, from Arianna Huffington, to representatives for large publications such as The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times and The New York Times.
The guests of honor that evening included Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, the reporters that broke the Watergate scandal. They received the President’s Award, accepted by Bernstein since Woodward attended the event through a conference call.
In addition to Bernstein and Woodward, other well-known faces made their way into the scene, as well. Renown actor Martin Sheen and NCIS actress Pauley Perrette hosted the final portion of the event and even announced a few winners.
Dr. Judea Pearl and his wife Ruth Pearl attended the event, as well and were presented with the Daniel Pearl Award for Courage, commemorating the 10th anniversary of the award.