• October 17Spirit Week will be from Oct. 29 - Nov. 2

• October 17The Great California ShakeOut drill will be on Oct. 23

• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

Girls Lacrosse wins CIF Championships

Julissa Rangel

Karina Mara
Sophomore Angie Rumbo prepares to swing her shot against an approaching defender.

Sore muscles, endless trips to the water fountain and the satisfaction of having won the 2018 California Interscholastic Federation LA City Section Championship are what sophomore Maria Ruiz recalls from her first year on girls varsity lacrosse.

“I was stoked when we won,” Ruiz said. “The last time we played against Palisades Charter High School was really intense and super close so we weren’t sure who’d win.”

After playing and practicing with the JV team for almost the entire Spring season, Ruiz was bumped up to a position as attacker on Birmingham Community Charter’s Varsity lacrosse team by her coach, Scott Silva. Although the move wasn’t the simplest transition she’s made, several of her teammates were transferred along with her, which made the move less difficult.

“I’d say it wasn’t too difficult, but the other players and I definitely had to learn to keep up because the varsity team had their own dynamic going on,” Ruiz said.

With only about a month of practice on the varsity team under her belt, Ruiz, along with the remaining Birmingham Lady Patriots, won the LA City Section Championship 10-6 against the Palisades Dolphins for the fifth consecutive year, marking the team’s fourteenth win of the season.

Junior Lucy Ishkhanian, who originally played on the school’s varsity team but left because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament, was unable to participate in any of the team’s games but was consistently present to take stats for her teammates and even help coach the JV team. Through and through, Ishkhanian’s involvement with the team seems to motivate her to recover faster in hopes that she can play next year.

“This is my first year experiencing this type of win which gets me really excited to see what might come out of the next couple seasons,” Ruiz said.

Julissa Rangel, Entertainment Editor

Julissa Rangel is The Pearl Post’s Entertainment Editor for the 2018-19 school year. This is her second consecutive year on staff. Outside of school, Rangel loves to watch movies, travel, go to concerts and spend time with her friends. Her favorite musical artists are Kali Uchís, Marc Anthony and Rihanna. She hopes to see them all in concert before she turns 20. Besides music, Rangel is incredibly passionate about Marxist theory, the womanist movement and teaching. She’s set on becoming an ESL teacher for elementary schoolers but as of now, her biggest goal is to pass her upcoming AP exams with fives and graduate high school with a GPA of at least 3.8.

Karina Mara, Copy Editor
Karina Mara is a Design Editor for The Prestige Yearbook. Karina is looking forward to creating a masterpiece with her fellow yearbook staff members Zachary Gephart-Canada, Alyssa Cancio, Cj Gorospe and Christine Valenzuela. Karina enjoys spending time on the internet and watching random, cool videos on Youtube, especially tennis videos because she loves tennis. She...