• December 9Last day of school is on Friday, Dec. 14

• November 29Winter show will be on Dec. 6

• November 29Winter formal will be held on Dec. 13 from 6-10 p.m.

College Corner: What to consider when choosing your future college

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students who want to stay close to home should attend in-state schools such as the University of California, Los Angeles.

Daniela Dixon

As acceptance letters begin to arrive, a new challenge arises for seniors–choosing their future college. Here is a list of different aspects to consider to help decide on the ideal school for you.

1. Student-teacher ratio – The student-teacher ratio is something incoming students should consider, depending on how big of a school you want to attend. For example, if you thrive with more individualized attention then you should look for a smaller school that has a fewer amount of students.
  2. Internships – Making sure your college provides internships and other opportunities to gain experience in your field of interest is something else to consider. Having these opportunities benefits students because they can help expose them to their potential future career.
  3. Location – Location should also affect your final decision. Being closer to home means having the option to visit your family more often. Going to a college further from you might result in seeing family and friends less often but having more independence.
  4. Scholarships – Many schools offer scholarships in different fields. Research what types of scholarships the school you are looking at has to offer. If you play sports or excel in any area, look for schools that can offer you a scholarship in that activity. 
  5. Extracurricular activities – Extracurricular activities such as clubs and groups are something else that make or break your college experience. If you are looking for the type of college that offers hundreds of clubs to choose from, make sure to research what your college offers. Keep in mind that smaller colleges typically don’t offer as many options as larger ones. 
  6. Social life – What surrounds your college may not seem important to your decision, but when students are not in their dorms studying, many like to go out and eat at different places or go shopping. If you prefer having stores, restaurants and other shops nearby then consider looking at what surrounds your campus.
  7. School ranking – The ranking of a college is important because it can show you where your college stands and how it compares to all the other colleges in the country. If you want to attend a college that is known for the field of study you are interested in, rankings can help you find the best college for that specific major.
  8. Living arrangements – Living arrangements is a huge deal in college and make sure to take a look at the pricing and the different living arrangements offered on and off campus. Seeing whether or not dorms are single sex or co-ed is something else that can affect your dorm experience.
About the Writer
Daniela Dixon, Staff Writer

Daniela Dixon is a staff writer on the Pearl Post. Daniela enjoys reading, especially on rainy days; you can find her smiling 24/7. She enjoys watching...