Students score at local write-off competition

Kirsten Cintigo

Twelve members from both The Pearl Post and Prestige Yearbook spent this past Saturday competing in the Los Angeles Journalism Teachers Association High School Journalism Write-Offs at California  State University Northridge.

Fifty-one students competed from eight different schools. The event began with an orientation at 9 a.m lasting until 9:20, when competitors were dismissed for each write-off. Categories consisted of News Writing, Opinion Writing , Features Writing, Sports Writing and Photography.

As usual, each write-off had its own guest speaker, followed by an hour of writing and a quick five minutes to print each story. After came lunch where members frantically discussed their chances in placing.

At 1 p.m the awards ceremony began. Luckily, a majority of our staff placed with: Staff Writer Rudraj Koppikar in 5th for News, New Media Editor Steven Guzman in 10th for News, Staff Writer Angel Van Horn in 7th for Opinion, Opinion Editor Kirsten Cintigo in 9th for Opinion, Staff Writers Julissa Rangel in 5th for Features, Melissa Hernandez in 7th for Features, Karina Mara in 4th for Sports, Entertainment Editor Amanda Jimenez in 6th for Sports, Staff Writer David Eskichyan in 8th for Sports, Photo Editor Rachel Bullock in 4th for Photography and Staff Writer Jade Campbell in 6th for Photography. Our staff also placed second in the Sweepstakes Awards, with Beverly Hills High School in first place and El Camino Real Charter High School in third.

The write-offs provided a chance to demonstrate our journalistic abilities, which will be useful in the upcoming state write-offs at Rancho Dominguez Prep School in Long Beach in March and the national convention in April.