• December 9Last day of school is on Friday, Dec. 14

• November 29Winter show will be on Dec. 6

• November 29Winter formal will be held on Dec. 13 from 6-10 p.m.

Math competition adds up to great opportunities

Melissa Hernandez

Students put their math skills to the test as they entered the AMC (American Mathematics Competition) math contest on for the second year in a row.

“The math contest is a national contest whose point and goals is to identify an olympic caliber team but it’s also trying to expose high school students to really challenging math problems,” math teacher Daniel Cramer said.

The AMC math contest is held every year in high schools throughout the country allowing students to challenge their math knowledge. The highest scoring students continue on to compete in the International Mathematical Olympiad.

The contest provides students with multiple choice questions that are unfamiliar to them and wouldn’t be found in any math textbook. The contest is designed to enhance and test students with their problem-solving skills, especially when it’s something that is not taught in a math class. It also allows them to develop critical thinking skills that will benefit them in the future.

“It’s a good thing to have on college applications and it makes me want to go home and try to figure out the answer myself because a lot of them were just making me so mad that I could not get them right,” sophomore Olivia Bullock said. “It kind of inspires me to pursue math on my own.”

About the Writer
Melissa Hernandez, Staff Writer

Melissa loves to read fantasy and adventure books, write stories about things from her imagination and she enjoys drawing animals and Pokémon. For her...