Bittersweet end for a baseball city championship player

Jomari Reyes

This is senior Lorenzo Escobar’s last year playing for the Patriots.

Nely Correa

Senior varsity Division One Baseball City Championship player Lorenzo Escobar began getting ready for what will be his last season to play in the West Valley League.

“Every year, our goal in August is to win City Champions,” said Escobar, who plays left field.

The season started a month ago and leagues began April 6 against Chatsworth High School, where the Patriots lost 9-5 in seven innings. Playing in the West Valley League means the games will be against schools like Chatsworth High School, Granada Hills Community Charter High School, Taft High School and El Camino High School.

“It’s not how you start a season. It’s about how you finish it,” Escobar said.

Just two years ago, Birmingham clinched the City  Championship against Chatsworth in a game at Dodgers Stadium.

Escobar has been playing for 12 years now and has been on the Birmingham baseball team since his freshman year.

The team has been working hard and practicing since early August. During spring break, the Patriots participated in a Las Vegas Tournament leaving with two wins and two losses.

He is confident and feels prepared for this season.

“I think my team has the necessary tools to beat anybody in our league,” Escobar said.

Escobar plans to continue playing baseball at Chapman University as well as working on his hitting.

He is ready for this season. Their last game will be against Taft High School on May 15.

“It’s very bittersweet,” Escobar said. “I’m glad to move on, but I’m going to miss it at the same time.”