STEM Club applies mathematics to real life

David Diaz

The Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Club gives students, such as junior Elsie Morales, a way to exercise their love for math and science.

“I wanted students to learn more about the STEM fields because it plays such an important role in our lives,” said Morales, president of the club.

The STEM Club is a place where students can go to learn how to apply the subjects they’ve been learning in school by making creative and

Junior Matthew Martinez tinkers with his group robot, challenging his thought process and math skills.
Lauren Fritschi

advanced projects. The club encourages students to get hands on with what they’re doing. Though the club has only recently formed, members are already working on robots.

“It’s really interesting how we’re making robots and how we’re meeting new people,” freshman Michael Chidbachian said.

The club meets on Monday and every other Friday during lunch in math teacher Leslie Hick’s room.

Hicks, the club sponsor, guides and supplies the students with the projects they are work on. Members work on their projects in small teams.

Members of the club gather once a month to decide which projects they would like to do.

“I want to make the students happy,” Hicks said. “I want to get the students to apply what they’ve learned in school.”

As the club progresses, members hope to work on more projects and go on field trips to science museums.

Junior and ad manager, Danielle Valenzuela, hopes to recruit more members into the club.

“I want more people to know about this club,” Valenzuela said. “I don’t want them to think it’s some boring club.”