Girls water polo take the city championship win

Veronica Godoy

Water polo girls won the city championship on Feb. 25 at Los Angeles Valley College. They were against Eagle Rock High School.

Joseph Mousaed

Senior set defense Rosemary Vazquez and junior Kyrah Hunter jumped into the Los Angeles Valley College pool with their coach after taking the city championship win on Feb. 25.

The Birmingham Community Charter High School girls water polo team defeated Eagle Rock High School to win the California Interscholastic Federation city championship finals 8-6. This finished off a 22-9 season game record and crowned the BCCHS team the title of city champions.

“We had an amazing season because we worked together and bonded very well,” Vazquez said.

The game started off with a score of 3-1 in the first quarter. Fans roared for both teams as the buzzers blared for the occasional referee calls.

The girls had a look of determination on their face and kept their lead strong. Vazquez played defensively and found a way to guard the opposing team’s lead scorer. This, along with a strong defense from both teams, led to few goals being scored.

As the fourth quarter neared the end with a score of 5-4, the BCCHS fans were excited to see the girls team come out with a win and avenge the loss of the boys team last semester.

Suddenly, the Eagle Rock Eagles scored a crucial long range shot at the top left corner of the goal. This was then followed by a fourth quarter buzzer that signaled the end of the quarter. The team and audience were shocked, awaiting the result of this seemingly unending struggle.

In the first half of overtime, each team scored one point leading to a 6-6 tie. Ultimately, the Patriots scored two goals in the last minute of overtime leading to their win.

As the trophies and awards were handed out, the girls wasted no time pushing coach Vincent Kezman into the pool as a tradition celebrating their triumph.

“That was the most stressful, nerve-wracking and exciting event in my life,” Vazquez said. “It was a great end to an amazing season.”