Club spotlight: new Club strives to make campus healthy

Raquel Dubin, Staff Writer

Freshmen Zachary Gephart-Canada discusses the garden project with members of the Environmental Club. The garden is [;anned to be planted in the north Wing Courtyard Thre. Club members seek to better the campus and make a change in their community.
Adrianna Rojas

In just a few weeks, freshman Zachary Gephart-Canada created a project for the Environmental Club, funded by the Theodore Payne Foundation.

Gephart-Canada started the Environmental Club during the second week of school. Since then, environmental club members meet every other Thursday in room 15 with their sponsor, English teacher Leah Pevar.

“When I first got here, I wanted to join an environmental club, so I started it,” Gephart-Canada said. “I wanted a healthy, beautiful campus.”

Members of the club plan on building a new garden in the North Wing Courtyard by room 15. The club is funded by the Theodore Payne foundation, an organization which tries to preserve California’s native plants.

In the first meeting, the club planned on spreading the word about the club and by the time the second meeting came around, they already planned the blueprint of the garden.Sophomore Harmony Sanchez is the treasurer of the club and handles the finances.

Sanchez wanted to start a environmental club in her freshemen year but was too busy to form her own and organize it. Luckily Gephart created the club this year, so she jumped at the chance to join.

“I joined the environmental club because, since I was younger I always cared about animals,” Sanchez said.    

Freshman Lauryn Uhlenberg is another member of the club. She talked about how they’re trying to incorporate drought resistant plants in the community and how, if they get around to it, they’ll try to clean up the beach to help the environment.

“We do work hard,” Sanchez said. “I think we really can make a difference.”