Meet the new staff

Many staff members left last semester, leaving room for new faces. Meet them here:

Cynthia Barry

English Teacher

Cynthia Barry is a new English Teacher teaching AP and other classes.
Juliette Tafoya

“I was shy. I was a relatively good student, but relatively shy. I remember one of my 11th grade teachers said to ask questions.This encouraged me to speak more because I didn’t like to speak in class.

Girl scouts was a big part of my life as a teenager. I did camp counseling and worked with younger kids. Based on what I know now, if I had the chance to go back in time, I would tell my younger self to have more confidence in yourself and your abilities, don’t be afraid to speak up for your beliefs, don’t stress about the small things, as in time, things are usually not as big of a deal as they seem. Ask questions and be yourself and don’t worry about what others think.”

Nicole Bootel

Magnet Coordinator

Nicole Bootel worked as another position the previous semester but has been promoted to Magnet Coordinator
Monica Hernandez

“I was the kind of student that did okay getting C’s without trying too hard. That, maybe if I was encouraged a little bit more by my family, I probably could’ve done even better. But I did well enough to get into college.

So, I would probably tell my younger self to push myself a little bit harder and put more effort into school to then have given myself more choices but I probably would’ve gone down the same path anyway.”

Disclaimer: Though Bootel isn’t necessarily a new teacher, she was promoted to her new position.

Beatrice Bowmani

School Nurse

Bowmani works part time as the school's nurse meaning she's only working Mon.- Thurs.
Monica Hernandez
Bowmani works part time as the school’s nurse meaning she’s only working Mon.- Thurs.

“I’m proud of being a nice person. I’m proud of being a school nurse. That’s another thing my parents guided me. My dad told me, ‘Be a school nurse.’ And I said, ‘Oh no. I don’t want to be a school nurse.’ I wanted to be a reporter.

I’m a twin, by the way. I have an identical twin sister. We went to nursing school, which we didn’t like at first. But now I enjoy it. I love it. I keep saying, ‘Thank you, daddy in heaven, that you told me to go and do this school nursing.’ I don’t know where I would be today if I hadn’t done nursing and listened to my dad.”

Hedi Capanj

Substitute counselor

I have been working with the district for 15 years. I’ve worked in many schools: Elementary schools, middle schools and high schools. I like to help students complete their goals.”

Al Daniels

Substitute Music Teacher

“As a teenager I was a musician. I was practicing most of the time. I just wanted to do music and that’s pretty much what I have done. If I had advice to give myself now, I would practice more. Ten thousand hours doing anything, you’ll master it.

There are musicians today that are not quite in their teens and they’ve put in 10,000 hours. My advice would be no matter what you do, whether it’s tennis, piano, violin, art, painting, is to put 10,000 hours. The bottom line is to just do it.”

Erica Felicitas

Financial Manager

Felicitas works in the student store and is in charge og
Adrianna Rojas
Felicitas works in the student store and helps with fundraisers for student classes.

“In my life, [I’m proud] when I see my kids and that I got my college degree. It’s not easy. It’s four years of hard work and accomplishments. They have this saying, ‘if you have a proper education, no one can take that away from you. No matter where you go, you would take that with you.’ I’m a firm believer of that.

I tell my kids, finish college and try not to hang out with the wrong crowd. Choose your friends [wisely] because they tend to have influence on you. I think I don’t have any regrets because I think I was a good kid. I would say that to anybody.”

Wes Hambright

Music teacher

Hambright joined the DPMHS staff in Sept. as a replacement for the school's last music teacher, Jackie Gorksi.
Lauren Fritschi
Hambright joined the DPMHS staff in Sept. as a replacement for the school’s last music teacher, Jackie Gorksi.

“I was a musician when I was a teenager. I played in rock bands. I was also constantly playing soccer as well, played soccer and played music. I was a good student. Your parents know more than you give them credit for. When you get a little older you realize, your parents aren’t so stupid. They actually know a lot.”

Leah Pevar

English Teacher

Pevar previously worked with other teachers outside the classroom but now works with the freshmen in her English courses.
Rosemary Vazquez

“Last year I wasn’t in the classroom. I was an out-of-classroom person working with the teachers. I am really glad I made the decision to come back into the classroom. I am really happy to be at DPMHS and teaching again. I am proud, most people don’t leave the classroom and come back. I’m really glad I did.”

Magaly Orejarena

Spanish Teacher

Orejarena enjoys dancing Latin American dances and instructs her own Zumba class at the YMCA
Victoria Nuñez

“Being an immigrant, I came to this country and I had no job.

I studied hard and worked hard. Now I can see can see that I have part of that life with me.

Part of that was bringing my son here. I am very proud because he was able to receive a good education. He worked hard and now he has his own family here. Now I get to see my grandchildren work very nicely here.”

Jennifer Pershes

Resource Teacher

Pershes joined staff in the middle of the 2015 semester and has made it her goal to reach out to every student

“I’m very proud of my career and my family.

I’ve set a goal that I expect to complete my master’s degree in December 2016. I was able to have a family between my career.

I will always continue learning. Part of the profession of teaching is that you are continuously learning.

You have to find ways to take the information to show it in such a way that students understand, students of all different learning levels.”

Disclaimer: Pershes joined the Daniel Pearl Magnet High staff in the middle of the last school year.

Jennifer Walker

Resource Teacher

Walker is not only a resource but she's also a sponsor for the junior class of 2017
Lauren Fritschi
Walker is not only a resource but she’s also a sponsor for the junior class of 2017

“As a teenager I was cautious.

I wanted to desperately fit in, didn’t want attention drawn to myself at all.

I was a good student and I loved being in school. I liked learning.

There is so much more to life after high school. If high school is hard,  it gets better.”

Wynter Walker

School Administrative Assistant

Walker has replaced our past office assistant, Diane Seiger who retired last spring.
Rosemary Vazquez

“I’m very proud of myself as an adult because I am not bitter.

I don’t have jealousy, but I have instead throughout my pain, all my disappointments, all my loss. I am now able to focus on others and not myself…You are gonna make me start crying…

That’s saying a lot for me because I was so self centered, so many problems.

My dream when I was a teenager was to be a lawyer and buy a condominium and a Porsche. I just wanted to be by myself, but God had other plans for me.

I am very proud of my husband and our children.”