Getting dirty with environmental science

Amanda Arst

Freshman Kaitlyn Arst collects soil sample for her project.

Raquel Dubin

Each year, hundreds of science projects fill the rooms of the California Science Center for the state science fair.

Inspired by her  6th grade teacher and her interest in science, freshman Kaitlyn Arst has been entering the science fair every year since then.

“I decided to enter because it’s good for college and because it’s fun to skip some class time,” Arst said.

At the 64th annual California State Science Fair, held May 18 and 19, Arst won first place with a project on soil erosion and its effects on the world’s agriculture. Her project demonstrates how the earth’s naturally occurring elements act like a glue to keep the soil together.  According to the California Science Center website, nearly 1,000 contestants in grades 6-12 entered the science fair.

Freshman Kaitlyn Arst poses with her first place medal that she won at the California State Science Fair for her project on soil erosion.
Eduardo Cruz

Arst has been on a winning streak recently. She also entered the county National History Day Competition and in March won first place in her category for senior solo website on Indira Gandhi, the first woman Prime Minister of India. Arst then moved to the state History Day Competition where she received an honorable mention for her work earlier this month.