New community college plan leaves students on edge

Adriana Chavira

Last school year students took a field trip to Pierce Community College. Students toured the campus and participated in a computer science/journalism class work shop. There was lunch provided for students but they could purchase food form the student store.

Jacqueline Tatulyan

Once senior Karla Medrano heard about the free community college proposal, she hoped that the plan would take place as soon as possible.

“I hope by the time I’m in college this plan will take action so I would be able to start off going to college for free and save money for future expenses,” Medrano said. 

President Obama proposed the plan for free community college during his State of the Union speech on Jan. 20.

The proposal would provide free tuition to at least half-time students who are capable of maintaining a 2.5 GPA and are aiming for a degree or transferring to a four-year university.

Although the plan would cost $60 billion of government money over the course of 10 years, it would help the 40% of college students who choose to attend community college but there is no set date the plan will begin.

According to a CNN article published on Jan. 21, the plan would not increase the number of students who say they plan to transfer to a four-year university within five years.

This would cause colleges to receive less money to provide for students and the improvements needed to accommodate their educational needs. The cost of $60 billion concerned junior Maxim Grinfeld.

“Six billion dollars is too much. Community college should cost less so the schools still receive money and students would pay less,” Grinfeld said.

The plan would not help overcrowded community colleges with thousands of students on waiting lists according to CNN.The money to pay for tuition wouldn’t be able to fund the amount of money needed to educate more students.

“Community college can get expensive even though it’s a cheaper option. More people than not will be taking advantage of it,” said Medrano who plans to study broadcast journalism and cosmetology.

In order for the system not to be abused for the 80% of students that attend community college with the goal of transferring, colleges would need to monitor students’ progress, courses that correlate with their major and job transfer as well as other forms of help in order to complete their goals.

Free community college may be helpful but progress must be made with the little attention paid toward community college students that will help their goals progress.

“Community colleges are already packed and they’ll be even more packed. It will all go back to square one,” Medrano said.