Birmingham Patriots make comeback in 19-14 homecoming game victory

Irene Feher

Linebacker Eric Flowers, No. 15, begins to sprint to respond to the ball during Birmingham Community Charter High School's homecoming game against El Camino Real Charter High School on Oct. 10. The Patriots came from behind to win the game 19-14.
Linebacker Eric Flowers, No. 15, begins to sprint to respond to the ball during Birmingham Community Charter High School’s homecoming game against El Camino Real Charter High School on Oct. 10. The Patriots came from behind to win the game 19-14. Photo by Jake Dobbs

The Patriots varsity football team scored three touchdowns in the last two quarters, making a comeback that brought the Patriots a 19-14 win against the El Camino Conquistadors Friday night.

The homecoming football game at Birmingham Community Charter High School on Oct. 10  included a parade of various floats, the marching band’s performance accompanied by fireworks during half time and spirited cheerleaders. The crowd went wild for the Patriot’s comeback that led to their first win of the season against El Camino Real Charter High School.

The game opened up with excessive excitement  as the Patriots ran into the field as the crowd stomped their feet on the bleachers chanting “We will rock you” by Queen. After the national anthem was played by the school band, the Patriots filled the night with their warrior chant.

No. 15 Eric Flowers locks his vision on the ball while holding off an El Camino Real player during Birmingham Community Charter High School's homecoming game on  Oct. 10. Photo by Jake Dobbs
No. 15 Eric Flowers locks his vision on the ball while holding off an El Camino Real player during Birmingham Community Charter High School’s homecoming game on Oct. 10. Photo by Jake Dobbs

As the first quarter went by,  El Camino had first down at the 45 yard line as players fought for the ball. Birmingham receives a turnover with 8 min and 22 seconds left of the first quarter. The crowd got off their seats as Birmingham intercepted the ball at the 20 yard line. Unfortunately, Birmingham didn’t make a touchdown because there was not enough time.

Before the second quarter started, cheerleaders chanted “Birmingham are you ready?” where the crowd responded with enthusiasm as balls and balloons were thrown to one another. About 8 min and 38 sec. left on the clock, Birmingham dropped the ball leading to a turnover by El Camino. With 5 min and 8 sec. left, El Camino scores a touchdown receiving an extra point in the kickoff, giving them the advantage of 7- 0.  El Camino makes another touchdown with 32.5 seconds left.

DPMHS senior Paola Lizama preps sophomore April Serrano for the homecoming parade. Both girls play on the lacrosse team at Birmingham. Photo by Ana Perez

During half time, the marching band and flag girls entered the field for their performance. The flag girls danced around as they waved yellow and blue flags across the football field. The marching band made a wave and row formation during their performance with the flag girls on the side. Suddenly, beautiful colored fireworks were shot off into the air illuminating the night sky.

The Patriots ran through a poster with the words of “this is how we do it” to start the second half of the game.

In the third quarter, the Patriots made a touchdown receiving an extra point in the kickoff with 6 min and 9 sec. left. The crowd stood up from their seats and shouted to celebrate Birmingham’s first touchdown. Soon after another touchdown was made.  Birmingham still behind with a score 13-14. The crowd chanted “B’s House” as the Patriots were making a comeback.

The fourth quarter started and Birmingham received the turnover with 5 min and 36 sec. The crowd stood up as the Patriots made a third touchdown taking the lead with a score of 19-14.

As the game came to an end, BCCHS Principal Bill Parks shouted toward the crowd “Whose house?” with the crowd shouting back “B’s house!” The final score of  the night, 19- 14 and students flooded the football field to celebrate with the athletes their first victory of the season.