Fundraising rule affects what, when and how to sell during school hours

YOUSEF FATEHPOUR and JORDAN RUBIN

School administrators have prohibited students from selling "unhealthy" items such as sodas or candy in favor of the more healthful items sold in the student store such as baked potato or corn chips
School administrators have prohibited students from selling “unhealthy” items such as sodas or candy in favor of the more healthful items sold in the student store such as baked potato or corn chips

Popchips and Goldfish Crackers are in while Fruit Snacks and Poptarts are out.

Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) has issued a new memo that brings new changes into the student store and has effectively halted fundraising from occurring on campus. Changes took effect immediately starting in the fall semester.

The old foods have been replaced with healthier counterparts and the same goes with drinks. Only water remains and the other discarded drinks such as Gatorade and Propel have been replaced with V8 Juice.

“The money comes out of our pockets we choose what to buy,” senior Kevin Brooks said. “I don’t see why they’re changing the whole system.”

The school might also lose profit from the change, because they used to buy from Costco in bulk, but most products issued by LAUSD are not available in wholesale.

“The senior class won’t feel as lavish as last year’s class,” financial advisor Tammie Tran said.

This year’s senior class has indeed taken a strong hit from the changes. Before, all the profits earned from fundraisers would go toward the senior class. After the changes, if anyone other than a senior attends a senior class fundraising event and donates, half of the proceeds go to Student Body.

Selling pizza in Fiesta Friday is also affected and the only way to actually sell these pizzas is through the loopholes. Using “dance tickets” as a cover up, students can pre-order pizza when Fiesta Fridays come around.