• April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29
  • April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

Gory, creepy zombies movies for Halloween

By VILMA VALLADARES

Contributing Writer:

A zombie like this may be seen in one of these four scary movies that might just make your blood boil.

Truth be told, the living dead have invaded the big screen for over 50 years and have kept audiences from all over the world captivated.

Take a bite out of this selection of zombie features that highlight the best in munching, splatter, goo and feasting frenzies out there.

In the 2002 Danny Boyle directed feature “28 Days Later” which stars Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris and Christopher Eccelston, a man wakes up from a coma only to discover that the England he left behind has been over run by the disease- rotted cannibals. Along his journey to stay alive he meets a handful of survivors but then realizes the only true way to survive is to revert to nature´s basic killing instincts.

A classic must-see is George A. Romero´s “Night of the Living Dead.” This 1968 motion picture highlights the beginnings of the zombies audiences are familiar with today. Duane Jones, who plays Ben, takes the role of leader to defend a lonesome house against the dead. Jones alongside Judith O´Dea, who plays Barbra, and others fight off the corpses that have risen from their graves. Although this movie is in black and white, it is a timeless masterpiece in the zombie-horror genre.

Do not be dazed with the total chaos in a zombie apocalypse as “ Zombieland” gives the grand example: Following the rules leads to survival. The 2009 feature with Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenburg, and Emma Stone is a delightful about-face in typical zombie movies. Columbus, a young man who has nicknamed himself after his city of origin, encounters an interesting group of people. He finds that his constant life threatening situation actually becomes a tiny bit bearable. Decorated throughout with humor, “Zombieland” proves the same concepts of all zombie films in an nontraditional way.

Quentin Tarantino is known for his violent masterpieces. However director Robert Rodriguez has nothing short of a thrill ride for one and all with “Grindhouse Presents: Planet Terror.” The 2007 film pumped with action is one of two movies in the double feature project known as Grindhouse. The explosive team of survivors rip and tear through buckets of goo as they fight their way through the swarms of infected.  Starring  Rose McGowan, Freddy Rodriguez, Bruce Willis and Josh Brolin, this film emits intense action with a balance of cheesy dialogue as well as exaggeration.

Sample each of these fearsome four and enjoy the various zombie adventure tales. It is without a doubt that the core of each film is to fight for humanity and  retain the strength to not become as animalistic as the zombies themselves. Of course to top it all off, it is also a good idea to survive the masses of undead.