• April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

Owl City taking on a new sound

Owl City’s new album, “The Midsummer Station” which was released this year.

By Carlos Godoy

Sports Editor:

Owl City is back with their third album, “The Midsummer Station,” with flashy beats while maintaining concepts of electronica.

The song “Good Time” has been made popular over the last couple of months, due to a collaboration with Carly Rae Jepsen who is known for her recent song, “Call Me Maybe.”

The style of “Good Time” is very upbeat, a modern step for Owl City. However, this isn’t the only track of the album with this rhythm.

There’s “Shooting Star,” which has a positive message and a lively beat which starts off slow and all of a sudden sprouting into an array of tunes, just what electronica is all about.

What Adam Young, lead vocalist for Owl City, did was make a song that one could close their eyes and go into thought.

Young wrote in his song, “All the heavy thoughts will try to weigh you down,” and added, “When the sun goes down and the lights burn out, then it’s time for you to shine.”

Another song, “Dementia” features Mark Hoppus, bassist and one of the lead vocalists for pop punk band Blink-182. Despite the name, it’s not such a crazy song and from the looks of the lyrics, it’s safe to say it’s about being crazy for love.

Most songs throughout the album are fast paced and upbeat, but two songs make the transition to less electronic style and slower pace.

“Embers” is the first song that comes up. It starts off slow then gets progressively faster into the chorus. To reference the name, an ember is a glowing piece of coal or wood, as in a dying fire. It also signifies the fading remains of a past emotion.

A great song to end with is “Silhouette.” The song starts slowly and continues the same pace from its beginning to end. The only instrument to follow along is the piano, sounding crisp and soothing. The percussion toward the middle of the song gives it emphasis. Overall, it is a beautiful composition.