City Champs Girls Lacrosse players profiled

Kathy Lopez
Kathy Lopez

By ARACELY RUIZ

Playing lacrosse, an intense fast paced sport requiring hand eye coordination, makes senior Kathy Lopez enter the field with a game mode mentality.

Lopez began playing in her sophomore year. Her position is center midfielder, which is in charge of starting the game and going to help offense and defense side. Winning almost all their seasonal games, the team made it to city championships where they were crowned victors of CIF Girls Lacrosse Division I City Championship.

Being on the lacrosse team has made Lopez’s life very busy. Every day, she spends three hours at practice. If there’s no practice or  games, there is homework that needs to be done.

“My schedule on a daily basis is pretty hectic with all my practices and games. I’m very busy,” Lopez said.“Plus having to go home to a stack of homework that needs to get finished.”

Lopez went into lacrosse not only for the sport itself but because its a great way to meet new people with the same qualities such as hers. She feels that being in lacrosse helps her be determined and boost up her confidence.

“Not only do I play to meet new friends but it gives me confidence to keep me going,” Lopez said.

By JOSELYN PULIDO 

Evelyn Lopez
Evelyn Lopez

Evelyn Lopez did not know anything about lacrosse until the summer going into her sophomore year when her cousin Erika Lopez encouraged her to practice together. She then thought it was unique and interesting, so she tried out and made the team.

“Lacrosse is a mixture of different sports, which makes it interesting and unique,” Lopez said.

Midfielder Lopez plays lacrosse at Birmingham Community Charter High School and as of this season had 37 goals  in total.

“I’ve managed to make a couple of left-handed shots and hopefully get behind the back shot,” Lopez said.

Lopez’s hard work and that of her teammates paid off when the girls lacrosse team were crowned Division I City Champions this spring.

“Her versatility makes her unique, she is able to switch from defense to offense without hesitations or time consuming adjustments during a game,” said Katherine Suarez BCCHS senior.

Lopez practices from beginning of 7th period until 5:30 p.m. and does not officially go home until 7 p.m. leaving her little time to eat and do her homework.

“It can be difficult at times but it all comes down to dedication and time management,” Lopez said.

Ana Perez
Ana Perez

By NICOLLE ROJAS 

Playing since the fall of 2013, junior Ana Perez has worked hard to be a part of the varsity lacrosse team and was one of the players to start in the  first lacrosse game of the season.

Perez plays the position of straight defense for the Birmingham Community Charter High School lacrosse team, but also a midfielder from time to time. Being interested in lacrosse for its originality and challenges, Perez has adapted to the great environment she works in with the people she enjoys playing with.

“She is such a good defender for a first year (player). During practice, she doesn’t slack off,” junior and teammate Paola Lizama said. “She is also very focused which makes her a very valuable player.”

Besides lacrosse, Perez is  part of other activities including a design editor for the yearbook and copy editor for school newspaper, The Pearl Post. At times, Perez must choose between three hour-long practices or making a deadline the publications.

“It is hard to be involved in both because I have to pick between one or the other,”  Perez said.

Since this is Perez’s first year playing lacrosse, tryouts were challenging. There were many returning girls who were sure to come back for the 2013-2014 lacrosse season which was intimidating. Working hard during practice has helped Perez become part of the team and has even helped her achieve so much for a first year lacrosse player. Perez has even set goals for perfecting her endurance and stick skills.

“When playing lacrosse I feel useful because I’m not doing something for myself, but I’m contributing to something bigger,” Perez said.

By JOANNE TABORDA

Paola Lizama
Paola Lizama

With 16 wins and only 3 losses, the girls lacrosse team remain strong and humble throughout the season, just like Paola Lizama has been for two years since being on the team.

Lizama, a junior at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, plays  on the Birmingham Community Charter High School girls lacrosse team as a center, scoring 8 goals and 3 assists throughout the whole season.

“She works very well with other teammates because if someone doesn’t know what to do, she teaches them on how to do it while explaining it very well,” freshman April Serrano said.

During the two years Lizama has been playing lacrosse, she’s learned to always ice injuries and stay humble on and outside the field by taking her wins and losses as life lessons toward her future.

“I’m pretty close to her in both ways, I know I can talk to her when I have a problem,” Serrano said. “And knowing that I can always ask Paola for help when it comes to knowing more of the skills in lacrosse because I know she’s a natural at that.”

April Serrano
April Serrano

By Jordan Rubin

April Serrano, a freshman at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, has been a valuable asset as an attacker for the Patriots lacrosse team.

Serrano has scored one goal and three assists throughout the year. With supreme dedication and intense practice, she has improved as a player as the season has progressed.

“She has a lot of potential to be the best,” said fellow teammate Paola Lizama.

Serrano has been playing Lacrosse for one year and hopes to get a scholarship for a UC campus in the sport. Her ambition level is second to none, and she’s all about the good of the team.

“We are that good, we can accomplish anything,” Serrano said.