• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

Tennis season ends after heated semi-final match against Narbonne

Freshman Jozsef Feher swings at the ball during practice to prepare for their upcoming match against Narbonne High School, which was played May 2. Photo by Jake Dobbs
Freshman Jozsef Feher swings at the ball during practice to prepare for their upcoming match against Narbonne High School, which was played May 2.
Photo by Jake Dobbs

By MARCELINA VERGARA

On a sunny and intense day the boys varsity tennis team left the court behind after losing during playoffs.

Birmingham Community Charter High School’s boys tennis team  qualified for Division II playoffs on April 29 after defeating Eagle Rock High School during their final seasonal matches.

The tennis team competed against schools such as John F. Francis Polytechnic High School and University High School demonstrating their perseverance and focus.

“I was surprised to make it to playoffs but I’m glad we did,” freshman Jozsef Feher said.

The Patriots were on the road to semifinals but on May 2 the team lost against Narbonne High School by ten points.  After an exciting game both teams were ready to head home.

The Patriots were disappointed but held their heads high ready for their second chance at finals the following season.

“They were competitive and we could’ve done better,” sophomore Joseph Mousaed said.

On that sizzling and exhausting day the tennis season came to a close.

“It was a hot day and everyone was tired,” Feher said. “Not everyone from the team was there to compete.”

It is the first year for both Daniel Pearl Magnet High School students to be a part of BCCHS’ varsity tennis team with Mousaed playing doubles and Feher competing in single matches.

Mousaed entered the team as a rookie. He practiced during the fall semester with the girls’ team as an assistant while Feher started playing tennis at the age of nine. Feher entered the California State University of Northridge’s summer tennis camp with his sister when their father encouraged them to play the sport.

With the team’s diverse tennis background and improving skills, their performance for the next season can only increase.  Next season holds great challenges ahead but the tennis team will be sweating and smiling to accomplish their goals.

“Overall, we did pretty good to be able to compete in the playoffs,” Mousaed said. “We just need to improve for next year.”