• April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.
  • April 20No school on Wednesday, April 24 for Armenian Genocide Observance Day
  • April 20Spring Serenade Festival on Tuesday, April 23 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Denim Day will be observed on Tuesday, April 23
  • April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29

Social media misconduct threatens electronic policy

By MARCELINA VERGARA

On April 9, parents and guardians of students from Daniel Pearl Magnet High School received phone calls and email notifications about an immediate termination of cell phone use at all times during the school day due to a misconduct on social media.

Despite the prior allowance of electronics during nutrition and lunch, students will no longer be allowed to have their electronics visible from 7:30 a.m. until 3:16 p.m., or they will be confiscated and returned only to a parent the following day.

“It’s not fair that everyone had to face the consequences,”  said sophomore Karine Malkdzhyan. “But I guess that’s just the way it is.”

Three Twitter accounts with the name DPMHS were made that impersonated an adult which is considered illegal in the eyes of the law.

“When you’re doing this, you’re going against professionals,” said science teacher Stephen Schaffter. “That’s child’s play and that can hang over your head for the rest of your life.”

The accounts made derogatory comments toward students and teachers as well as showing inappropriate images such as pornography.

The consideration of a possible revision of the electronics policy will be discussed during the School Site Council meeting on April 29.

“As students get more privileges comes greater responsibilities,” said Principal Deb Smith. “This sheds a negative light into our school that I know we’re not.”