K-Pop Club brings music and sense of inclusion to members

Zach Adler

There are many clubs operating at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS), but none of them have as clear of a message as Senior Daniela Jimenez.

“In that time (the beginning of the year), you couldn’t hear any music. We started this club so everyone can have fun, listen to music, and hang out with friends,” Jimenez said.

K-Pop Club co-founder Daniela Jimenez wants the club to function as a place for students to feel comfortable and to mingle. Photo by Angelo Marmol.

Every Wednesday, Jimenez and eight to 10 other students come to Room 6, where several different clubs also meet every day of the week.

The vibe of K-Pop club is one of conversation, karaoke, video watching and listening to music from around the world, made by the attendees.

This means that every week has a different playlist, as chosen by students. This is where the group scenario thrives.

Things seem to trend over several weeks, such as the song “ What Does The Fox Say?” But most of the members prefer to listen to Japanese music.

Though there is a core group of attendees who show up every week, Jimenez is encouraging, even persistent, of getting additional members to join in.

“This club is always open for everyone. We are open any time of the year,” says Jimenez, who is hoping to expand the club in the near future.

Though the club is centered around music, Jimenez and co-founder Stephanie Chavez agree that the club exists as an impetus for better mingling.

Jimenez’s main mission is to have students enjoy themselves and their friends’ company through social experiences. She believes that the best way to do this is through music.

“We want to give music to the people,” she says.