• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

Journalism and yearbook students compete and win at state write-offs

Prestige Yearbook editor Ana Perez placed second in her sports photo, which the judges called "stunning." Pearl Post reporter and editorial cartoonist Sheena Gonzalez placed 7th in editorial cartoon and staff writer Irene Feher placed 11th in sports writing.
Competing in today’s SCJEA state write-offs were (top row) Pearl Post staff writer Irene Feher, Pearl Post staff writer Elsy Barcelo, Prestige Yearbook editor Ana Perez, Prestige Yearbook editor Elyssa Gorospe, Prestige Yearbook staff writer Jailene Mazariegos and Pearl Post Features Editor Chris Bower. (Bottom row) Pearl Post Managing Editor Natalie Moore, Pearl Post Tech Editor Ilana Gale, Pearl Post staff writer Marcelina Vergara and Pearl Post staff writer Sheena Gonzalez (not pictured).

By NATALIE MOORE

About 200 students from Los Angeles and Orange counties competed in the state write-offs hosted by the Southern California Journalism Education Association.

The all-day event was held Saturday at Rancho Dominguez Prep School in Long Beach.

Students were given a topic and were required to write a story in their category, which included news, sports, editorial and features, on the spot. Other categories also included news, feature and sports photography as well as newspaper and yearbook layout.

Prestige Yearbook editor Ana Perez placed second for her sports photo of a water polo player, which the judges called “stunning.” The Pearl Post reporter and editorial cartoonist Sheena Gonzalez placed seventh in editorial cartoon for her drawing of the new law Assembly Bill 1266, which gives transgender students equal access to school facilities. Staff writer Irene Feher placed 11th in sports writing for a story on concussions among high school athletes.