• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

Athlete of the Month: Kathy Lopez

Senior Kathy Lopez positions herself to throw the ball to her teammate. Photo by Melyssa Montoya

By SABA MAHMOUDI

Senior lacrosse player Kathy Lopez moves forward with enthusiasm and passion on the path of success.

Lopez has been a part of Birmingham Community Charter High School’s (BCCHS) girls lacrosse team for three years now playing as center.

“I enjoy playing lacrosse because I have an opportunity to play with my teammates and siblings,” Lopez said.

Lopez’s 19-year-old-sister Erika, who was also a lacrosse player during her high school years, had a major impact on her.  Lopez would occasionally play with her sister Erika. Eventually lacrosse grabbed Lopez’s attention which made her interested to join the BCCHS girls lacrosse team.

Lopez willingly practices for approximately two to three hours everyday after school under the guidance of Coach Scott Silva. Lopez is inspired by her team’s determination and leads the team with a smile on her face.

“I practice everyday constantly to improve my lacrosse playing skills,” Lopez said.

Last year Lopez and her team successfully made it to playoffs then lead themselves into the game for a championship.  Yet, Lopez is still hoping and practicing with more energy than ever to reach into higher levels of competition this year.

As much as she enjoys being part of the team, like many other high school athletes, she chooses not to continue as seriously with her sport after graduating. Lopez desires to focus more time on her studies.

“I would like to be able to continue to play after my high school years but I’m not sure yet, maybe just as a hobby from time to time,” Lopez said.