Meet the co-founders of the Be More Heroic Campaign: Justin Chase and Sierra Dowd

Ilana Gale

While someone who has a bachelor’s degree in public relations and a practicing musician might not seem like the most likely pairing, Justin Chase and Sierra Dowd make it work.
It all started with a music video covering the song, “Pumped Up Kicks.” In the video, a student is bullied by classmates until someone decides to stand up for the person who is being bullied. Chase and Dowd, the founders and co-presidents of Be More Heroic, met while working on the video for his version of “Pumped Up Kicks.”
“I met Sierra in the recording studio when we were tracking ‘Pumped Up Kicks.’ She was just coming on as a PR consultant,” Chase said.
“Through the several months after we wrapped the project she continued to show up and we had this moment where it was like you are the other half to this organization.”

Sierra Dowd, co-founder and the business side of the Be More Heroic Campaign, presents at a Jan. 30 assembly. Photo by Dion Mazor

Be More Heroic, a non-profit anti-bullying campaign, encourages people to stand up for themselves and what they believe in through the power of music.

“They inspire me to want to help other people and to want to affect more people in a positive way,” freshman Leandra Bell said.

Chase is a singer/songwriter who turned a small idea into an organization. He is a graduate in film and video production from Full Sail University in Florida. Chase uses his talent to inspire, which is why music has become a big part of the organization.

“We use the arts as a tool to inspire and empower other people so being an artist I’ve always wanted to bring that message to my music. I think Be More Heroic gives me the platform to do so,” Chase said.

Dowd graduated from Cal State University Northridge with a B.A. in public relations. She uses her knowledge in public relations to help navigate through the business side of leading an organization.
Sierra is described as having an “undeniable strength and relentless drive” that help Be More Heroic continue to be on the cutting edge and to grow as an organization.

Be More Heroic co-founder Justin Chase speaks about experiences with his stepfather. Photo by Dion Mazor.

The Be More Heroic School Tour is a two part program that helps educate students elementary school through college level. The purpose is to teach students about bullying and how to prevent it.
The tour has visited Daniel Pearl Magnet High School twice, once in 2013 and once at the end of this January. It’s worth noting that the video Chase and Dowd met on, his cover of “Pumped Up Kicks,” was shown at the 2013 assembly to introduce Be More heroic and its ideas to students.
The first part is an interactive assembly with the school and the second part is creating a student team. The team spreads the message of the assembly throughout the year by completing three service projects.

“We want to encourage people to find their voice, find their purpose in life, to learn how have more compassion and treat each other with human dignity and to give back to make a cultural change within your school or community by being kind and compassionate to other people,” Chase said.