• April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

Grammy Foundation hosts music training workshops

By VANESSA DIAZ:

Grammy winner Ziggy Marley (left), Grammy-nominated songwriter/vocalist JoiStarr (center) give panel discussion at Grammy Camp in the University of Southern California. Photo by Daniela Valdivia

As a part of Grammy Week, students were treated to singers and songwriters who gave tips on how to be successful in the music business.

The workshops on Jan. 22 were held at the University of Southern California and were made possible by the Grammy Foundation alongside a collaboration with Grammy Camp. Performances, workshops and panel discussions were designed to spark interest in musical careers.

“I received an email from a Los Angeles Unified School District colleague, Tony White who told me about the event and thought it would be something my students would enjoy,” Gorski said.

Students were separated into groups, red and white. Some were presented with workshops but most with panel discussions.

Those in group white got to hear from producers and songwriters who have worked with well-known celebrities such as Beyoncé, Drake, Kanye West, Britney Spears and Rihanna.

The speakers discussed their journey to their success, how they overcame rejection and some of the work they are proud of plus some music they hope will be heard soon. Students also had the pleasure of having famous reggae singer Ziggy Marley speak and talk about his music and how it has played a huge part in his life. Marley told all the students who wish to be in the music industry to never give up.

Group red had the opportunity to hear about the financial way of doing music business. It informed students about the different obstacles you go through to be successful in the music business. Another talk was given by guitarist and singer “Gooding.” He performed a few of his original compositions and also gave financial advice.

“I really enjoyed the trip since I want to be in the music industry to become a singer. (I) learned that you have to be very committed,” senior Ean Argueta said.

To finish off the event, there was an hour-long jazz concert performed by high school juniors and seniors from all over the country who were selected to be part of the Grammy Camp.