• April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

Last year for seven-period schedule

By ENRIE AMEZCUA

After two years, Daniel Pearl Magnet High School is saying goodbye to the seven-period bell schedule.

“At first, it was hard to go through the switch [from six periods to seven]. I kept thinking I’d go home after 6th period. Seven periods seem more efficient because people get to make up credits they’re missing,” senior Sarah Thomas said.

Beginning in the fall, a six-period bell schedule will return. These past two years, the seven period schedule has given students the option to complete their high school graduations requirements as early as their junior year.

“In the Class of 2017, those students will have less required credits, so if we stayed on a 7th-period day those students will be ready to graduate by credits by junior year,” Principal Deb Smith.

Los Angeles Unified School District resumed the minimum credits required to graduate down to 210 from its original 230 credits required.

Due to this recent change, DPMHS will have to change its schedule to lower the amount students who have extra classes and will only have English, US Government, and Economics in their senior year

However for some students, reverting to original schedule is much more favorable than the current bell schedule.

Each class will be five minutes longer. However, nutrition and lunch will remain the same.

“I would prefer six periods than seven periods because they’re longer periods, you get more done. You don’t get as much work done with seven periods,” sophomore Emily Guerrero said.

Martina Torres, guidance counselor, says although that an entire period is removed from the schedule, students will still be able to complete their A-G requirements despite this change for the class of 2015 and beyond.