Be More Heroic motivates students to make the right choices

Alejandra Aguilera

(From left to right) Be More Heroic members Joie Kathos, Savanna Raven, Sierra Dowd, Ali Stroker, Justin Chase and Dani Shay performed various songs and poems that talk about how to accept yourself for who you are. Their ultimate goal is to have people not only accept bullying as a wrong, but also be the heroes.

Freshly inspired by the Be More Heroic assembly, students filled the multipurpose room in hopes of changing Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) into a more accepting environment.

“We want to make sure there are no students here that bully or are bullied,” Principal Deb Smith said. “We want to make DPMHS a more welcoming school.”

On Jan. 24, Be More Heroic, a non-profit campaign with the goal of encouraging students to make positive decisions in response to bullying, performed for the entire student body for the second year. Click here for a Flickr photoslide.

Founded by Sierra Dowd and Justin Chase, the team of heroes travels to different schools sharing stories concerning ethnicity, disability and the Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender community. Click here to see a video of the Jan. 24 assembly.

“We want students to come up with their own innovative ways to stimulate positive activity,” Joie Kathos, a spokesperson for Be More Heroic, said. “Sharing our experiences of bullying helps students know they’re not alone.”

Chase and Dowd’s main objective was to assign student representatives for each class to avoid another shortage of attendance. Angel Soller was appointed representative of the senior class, Dion Mazor  for junior class, Sandra Aguilar for sophomore class and Leandra Bell-Vargas for freshmen class.

Last year, sophomore representative Sandra Aguilar organized Hear My Voice, an open-mic event where students could share their talent or experiences dealing with bullying in a supporting environment.

“I want students to know that this school is safe,” Aguilar said. “You should be able to be who you want without worrying of being bullied.”