• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

Students participate in Hour of Code to honor computer scientist Grace Hopper's 107th birthday

Hour of Code
Sophomore Juan Argote (left), senior Citlali Aburto (right), along with their classmates do the Hour of Code in their Computer Science class. Photo by Dion Mazor.

By GIHAN RACHID

During  the beginning of December, students across the nation get involved in Computer Science Education Week, or as students of Daniel Pearl Magnet High School know it, Hour of Code.

Hour of Code is a week-long event held in recognition of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper who is widely regarded as creator of one of the first computers. This week, students learn the basics of website coding. This year, mathematics teacher Leslie Hicks, walks students through how to make computer programs and apps.

Examples that have been shown this week include Scratch, a programming language created by scientists at MIT that use colorful blocks as opposed to the typical long lines of text seen in code. Also, a site called touchdevelop.com which helps users create their very own mini-game step by step.

With technology on the rise in today’s generation, many feel that a program such as Hour of Code is an essential part of education. Teachers who participate in the event create an hour long lesson plan on generating website codes.

The program is not limited to computers, since much work is done on tablets and smartphones. With these experiences, students take with them helpful knowledge to go further into technical fields.

“It’s helpful because since our generation was born into the generation of computers and programming. It will be useful for future jobs,” junior Aerielle Gundayao said.