• April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

New salad bar an option for school cafeteria

By CARLOS GODOY:

Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s (DPMHS) cafeteria is going green with a new salad bar option beginning Jan. 13.

“(We’ve) been pushing for it since last year, since some have not been satisfied by the menu. As a result we have had low participation in school lunch,” cafeteria manager Kathy Mrasz said.

New selections offer fresher and healthier options. Vegetables placed in sections include chopped romaine lettuce or cabbage, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and broccoli with the option of seasonal fruits too.

“I don’t think a lot of people would get salads unless they are trying to eat healthy but I appreciate that they are letting us have more options,” sophomore Alessandra Silva said.

Added to that will be prepared sandwiches made with turkey, turkey ham, tuna, egg salad and roast beef, all placed in 100% whole grain wheat bread.

“To start out, vegetables will be pre-packaged,” Mrasz said.

The project is being paid for by the Food Services for the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD).

However, in order to get this through LAUSD, David Binkle, deputy director of Food Services, had to make an agreement because the school is reimbursed for every meal. Binkle oversees the menu and compliance areas, making sure procedures, state and local food policies are met.

DPMHS isn’t the only school in the district going through a redesign in the menu. Ulysses S. Grant High School is also offering the salad bar/a la carte service for students. The a la carte service provides students with sides such as yogurt, string cheese and Naked brand juice.

The salad bar is an option, but students are still required to pay for it. It is also offered under the meal program.

“With the new salad bar (we) want to up faculty sales and revenue for Food Services,” Mrasz said.