• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

Renewed determination to fulfill football dream

Eric Flower, number 15, defends the ball during homecoming game against Taft High School. Photo by Waldir Henriquez
Eric Flower, No. 15, defends the ball during 2013 homecoming game against Chatsworth High School.
Photo by Waldir Henriquez

By ELIJAH ZELONKY

The Patriots football season finally came to an end on Nov. 22 in the second round of the playoffs.

“At first losing the game hurt, but I realized we played our hearts out and that’s all I can ask for,” varsity player Eric Flowers said.

It was a difficult match for both sides but in the end the Narbonne Gauchos outlasted the Patriots 21-13. Sophomore linebacker from Daniel Pearl Magnet High School Eric Flowers played a good game and finished with nine tackles in total.

In the first round of the playoffs which were played on Nov. 15, things were better for the Patriots and for Flowers. The team routed the South East High School Jaguars, 34-13. He finished the game with 11 tackles and an interception. Flowers prided himself with his efforts.

“Everything just felt surreal. It was my birthday, and I just had a great game,” Flowers said.

Flowers is a varsity football player who is only in his sophomore year, so he knows that although the Patriots didn’t get to the championship, there will be two more opportunities for him to help the team have a deeper postseason run.

“We need to play disciplined, not make stupid mistakes, and play fast. We want to win the championship,” Flowers said.The Birmingham Community Charter High School Patriots were a good team, and DPMHS student Eric Flowers played a big part in that. With him in the lineup for the next two years, the future looks bright for the Patriots.

Next year will bring new opportunities to accomplish the championship dream.  There might be more DPMHS football players out on the field with Flowers as well.

All these guys can hope for is to be the best they can be for next season.