• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

Staff Editorial: LAUSD iPad hacking and misuse issue raises concerns

In the age of smartphones, tablets and laptops, it’s easy to get caught up in technology and forget about the things that matter, like education and friends. Now, it’s more common to see technology integrated into school settings.

Computers can be found in every classroom throughout the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) and iPads are being distributed to each student in hopes of bridging the gap between technology and education.

However, during the short time schools were learning how to use iPads to the fullest, students have already bypassed LAUSD’s firewall and iPads started to go missing.

LAUSD is attempting to encourage students to be engaged in school by integrating technology into a class setting. However, rather than being a new technique to teach subjects, students are using  the iPads to access unauthorized websites like Facebook and YouTube.

The cost of buying and maintaining the iPads outweighs the positive things students get back.

LAUSD is spending about $1 billion on iPads, along with upgrading Wi-Fi and providing trainings,  that are just being stolen and misused.

Instead of using the money toward more tablets that will be used, broken or hacked, LAUSD should put the money toward books or creating programs that will actually benefit the students