Daniel Pearl World Music Day showcases diversity

Ilana Gale

Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s choir sings three musical pieces beginning with “Shalom Alecheim” with Daniel Lee (left) on the violin and Gor Mkrtchian (right) conducting. The next two pieces include “Shir l’Shalom” and “Next to Me,” which featured soloists.  Photo by Jake Dobbs.
Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s choir sings three musical pieces beginning with “Shalom Alecheim” with Daniel Lee (left) on the violin and Gor Mkrtchian (right) conducting. The next two pieces include “Shir l’Shalom” and “Next to Me,” which featured soloists. Photo by Jake Dobbs.

Energy and emotions run high as the performers and audience arrive and wait for the fourth annual Daniel Pearl World Music Days to begin.

The event took place on Oct. 24 in the Multi-Purpose Room (MPR).

Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) Principal Deb Smith began the show by presenting a documentary about kids from Paraguay who play music using instruments made from recycled materials, called “Landfill Harmonic.”

Smith then read a letter from President Barack Obama about the significance of music and Daniel Pearl World Music Days.

“By cultivating shared musical experiences, occasions like the Daniel Pearl World Music Days tap into music’s capacity to heal and to foster lasting tolerance,” President Obama wrote.

Daniel Pearl World Music Days is held annually during the month of October, which is Pearl’s birthday month, and is a series of concerts around the world that honor his life, beliefs and love for music.

Musicians from all over the world dedicate concerts to him and the core belief that people of different races, religions and ethnic backgrounds can work together to achieve a hate – free world, full of diversity. The month-long event is sponsored by the Daniel Pearl Foundation.

Every year, DPMHS has its own concert to honor the school’s namesake, Daniel Pearl. This performance is a way for students from all different backgrounds to perform songs and  remember the life and achievements of journalist Daniel Pearl.

“I think it’s a really fun experience to have at our school because everyone can showcase their talent and express themselves through music like Daniel Pearl would’ve wanted,” junior Yasmine Saraf said, who sang in the choir.

This year, music teacher Jackie Gorski made a change to the show. There were two shows rather than one. One show was held in the morning and one in the afternoon.

“The goal is for the whole school to be able to see it,” Gorski said.

This year, there were more soloists than there have been in the past.

The guests of honor, Dr. Judea and Mrs. Ruth Pearl, were given flowers and greeted in many languages by the international greeters.

Master of Ceremonies Chris Bower, introduced senior Victoria Cook who read a dedication to the life of Daniel Pearl and the legacy he left behind, when his life was tragically cut short.

The DPMHS choir kicked off the musical performances by singing “Shalom Aleichem.”  The song was conducted by Gor Mkrtchian and accompanied by Daniel Lee on the violin. Lee is a senior and this is his third year participating in the show.

“It’s pretty sad and happy at the same time,” Lee said. “It will be my last year performing but happy because it’s my last year performing and I can make it my best.”

Theatre ensemble performed “Do Not Be Ashamed.” It was a dramatic interpretation of a poem by Wendell Berry.

The choir came back onstage to perform “Shir l’shalom,” with Jasper Harris on the piano, Daniel Lee on the violin and Trast Knapmiller playing the guitar. Soloists for this song included Giselle Rizo, Tristan Holland, Michella Mousaed, Ana Monterroza, Tony Solorzano and Daniela Valdivia.

“This is important to me because it feels great to show respect to parents who lost their child in a horrific way,” freshman Monterroza said.

Theatre ensemble made a second appearance to perform another poem called “I Am Waiting,” by Lawrence Ferlinghetti.

Next came the instrumentalists and guitar ensemble.

Ori Dabach was the first to perform and he played “Aura Lee Folk Song,” arranged by Will Schmid, “Ode to Joy,” by Beethoven and “Blues,” by Will Schmid, on his guitar.

Then, a guitar trio, which included Matthew Sarenana, Alex Torres and Rafael Rodriguez,  performed “Minuet,” by Bach.

Carlos Godoy played “Postcards From Far Away,” by Coldplay on the piano.

Jasper Harris and Sam Marsh were the last instrumentalists to perform. They performed the song “Sometimes,” by The Strokes.

The choir came back for one final song. They sang “Next to Me,” by Emeli Sandé. For this song, the DPMHS choir was accompanied by Jasper Harris on the drums and Trast Knapmiller on the guitar.

“Guitar is one of my favorite things to do and I decided to volunteer to play. This is a good event and I enjoy it because we’re sharing memories of Pearl with his parents,” Knapmiller said.

Solos were sung by Sandra Aguilar, Yvonne Gonzales, Carlos Godoy, Julia Garcia and Steven Hernandez. “Next to Me” was performed in English and in Spanish.

“It feels really good to sing in the show again because that means the school liked my last performance and they wanted me to perform again,” sophomore Aguilar said.

Dr. Pearl and Mrs. Pearl went up to the stage to share memories of their son Danny and to help spread his message.

“Inspiration, that they will have the confidence to change the world,” Mrs. Pearl said.

Daniel Pearl World Music Days is much more than a series of concerts, it is an opportunity to show the world that with hard work, humor and music we can all change the world someday.

“Daniel Pearl World Music Days mean unity. It means respect of differences and connecting around for common humanity,” Mrs. Pearl said.

On this special occasion, Gorski was presented an unexpected certificate by Principal Smith from Councilman Mitch Englander.

“This certificate acknowledges the un measurable contribution you have made to the students and stakeholders of Daniel Pearl, through your teaching of music and commitment to keeping the arts alive at a time when they are needed most,” Councilman Englander wrote.

As the fourth annual Daniel Pearl World Music Days came to an end, emotions of sadness and happiness overtook the performers and the audience.

“I feel very connected to the students. I feel like they know Danny and therefore, they are a part of the Pearl family,” Mrs. Pearl said.