• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

Restaurant Review: A pinch of mint is the secret to fine Thai cuisine

By Alejandra Aguilera:

Spicy Shrimp Soup with fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, shrimp and a variety of spices is a classic dish in mint Garden Thai Cuisine in Sherman Oaks.
Spicy Shrimp Soup with fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, shrimp and a variety of spices is a classic dish in mint Garden Thai Cuisine in Sherman Oaks. Photo by Alejandra Aguilera.

The art of asian cuisine has a fair balance of cultural sweetness with a tinge of spicy bitterness, served as a reminder of past tribulations. Such high expectations can only be executed by small, humble restaurants such as Mint Garden Thai Cuisine.

Mint Garden rests on a cozy block on Van Nuys Boulevard. The traffic is light allowing customers to hear the soothing sound of their modest, indoor fountain which role is to relax the mind, since one spoonful of any meal will leave the taste buds paralyzed from the underestimated deliciousness.

It is often said to begin with the classics, so it’s only appropriate to start off a mouthwatering adventure with the Spicy Shrimp Soup. If you think Mexican food is destructive, consider ordering the normal shrimp soup, but it’s highly recommended to take the risk of spice. This soup is the definition of surprise. The broth rests, a bit intimidatingly, concocted with shrimp, fresh mushroom, lemongrass for a fragrant and slightly bitter savor, and a boat load of spices.

To freshen up the taste buds, it’s highly recommended to eat the shrimp soup with the honeyed orange chicken. The dramatic change from fiery to sweet may seem distasteful but it surprisingly fuses well. The soft crunch of the outer shell bursts with delicious flavor while the chicken underneath remains soft and warm, a great way for the tongue to regain its quench for spice.

There is no need to check a fortune cookie, Mint Garden Thai Cuisine will flourish with their harmonious balance of the bitter, the spicy and the sweet.