• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove

Lone DPMHS member has championship goals

DPMSH Sophomore Eric Flowers, liner back for BCCSH football team, warm-up before practice.    Photo by: Melissa Montoya
DPMHS Sophomore Eric Flowers, liner back for BCCHS football team, prepares himself before practice at BCCHS. Photo by: Melissa Montoya

By Anthony Melgoza:

After three long agonizing months of practice for four hours a day in the blistering heat linebacker Eric Flowers is hyped for his first season playing with the varsity team.

“All the hard work I put in during summer training will pay off in the games. I want to score at least 10 touchdowns and win a championship ring this season,” Flowers said, who sports number 15 on the field.

Flowers, a sophomore at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, started playing football in the sixth grade and since then, football has become his passion.  As a player he has become a role model to the players on the junior varsity team.

“I feel blessed and lucky that I have this opportunity to be on the varsity team because not a lot of people get a chance like this,” Flowers said.

Flowers was called up last season to the varsity squad for the playoffs but unfortunately was not able to showcase his full potential but, he did not let that bring him down. He puts in a lot of hard work on and off the field, by showing up to all the practices and keeping his body healthy and in great shape by working out and watching what he eats.

“Eric is a humble person that shows a lot of heart and gives it his all every time he steps on the field,” junior varsity linebacker Stanley Cea said.

At the age of 14, Flowers has already made the varsity football squad at Birmingham Community Charter High School and is ready to make an impact this season. The patriots won their first game of the season on Aug. 29 against Banning High School by margin of 46-0.

The Birmingham Patriots, who went 9-3 last season, have City Championship ambitions and expect to go undefeated, according to Coach Jim Rose. Rivals Norte Dame, Taft and Cleveland High School will give the Patriots some headaches.  But Coach Rose believes the team will have no trouble overcoming the challenges.

“We have a better team this year because the players actually show that they care and have put in more time, hard work and effort at every practice. I’ll be surprised if we don’t win a championship,” Coach Rose said.